Sam’s Fail-Safe Style Rules
34STYLE Founder and Designer Sam Pemberton shares her top fail-safe style rules for getting your outfit spot on every time. If however something doesn’t feel right when you put it on, chances are it doesn’t look right either so always trust your instinct.
- I always think about my day and what I need to wear the night before. It’s so much easier. Thinking about wardrobe options first thing will never work as well as it does when you’re fully in gear.
- Think about your investment pieces. A jacket will always be a good one as well as a tote bag you’ll use on a daily basis, cashmere and white trainers – they go with everything. The rest? Buy high street and mix it up. Chances are you’ll want to refresh your basics much more regularly anyway.
- Top tip! Go up a size in your top half, especially in Zara. After a wash they tend to shrink a little so it gives you more value per wear and also looks more expensive too.
- Get your tees just the right fit. They can be your everyday go-to’s if you get them fitting really well. We’re going to be bringing out tees later this year as I still think there’s room in the market for some really nice new loose-fitting options in beautiful, yet affordable quality.
- Try and achieve balance Whether that’s with colour or your items in general. For example, pairing a slinky cami with some great jeans and a leather jacket, or teaming your favourite dress with some ankle boots and a light suede jacket thrown over the shoulders.
6. If I had to choose two pieces for my style rules I could never give up, it would be my leather 34STYLE navy fur biker jacket and my leather trousers. You can pair them with quite literally anything.
7. There are a million ways to dress up when going out. Putting a short skirt on with a little top isn’t necessarily one of them! I love to wear a pair of my favourite skinny jeans with a cool knit (loving the glittery Bella Freud ones at the moment!). It not only takes me from day to night, it’s so much easier. Plus it also looks great and feels comfy too – win win!
- Go gentle on your accessories. Pick nice key pieces out and they will add the best finishing touch to any outfit.
- One of my favourite style rules; if you bought your jeans hightstreet, find a great alterations specialist and they can tailor them to really fit you. Not so off the peg anymore!
- When I’m having a day where I feel a bit stuck and don’t know what to wear, I just search on Pinterest. So much ootd inspiration at the click of a button!